Monday, August 15, 2011

JOB WANTED.

Recently I signed up with something called "employment agency".
Yes. I'm looking for a job but finding a suitable job for epileptics is pretty hard. Having no driver's license, with limited amount of hours and the types of job I can manage, might be contributing to my lack of opportunities.

Initially I was confusing "employment agencies" with "recruitment agencies". Unlike the latter, employment agencies don't organise job interviews for you. but they assist you in job-searching, help you improve your skills by offering courses if that is helpful, and to apply for a job. However, the service ends there, pretty much.

After finding this out, I did a google search but couldn't find any "recruitment agencies" for disadvantaged people (not disabled people). It's not fair. It's a kind of discrimination, I thought, and I know some people indignated by this.

Anyway, my complaint stops here. I've started to list up the positions I'm going to apply, drafted CVs and wrote down the list of assistance I need from them - and that's my homework. There are few more things I could do to maximize my opportunities, which I'm going to discuss with them.
Actually I've been expecting a letter from them with regards to my next interview with the consultant, which is supposed to be due by now but I haven't heard anything yet.

See, I don't want to sit down and wait for them to contact me and I won't. I will need to keep hassling them or try out some other agencies bigger than them.
In retrospect, I hadn't been trying hard enough to find a job for last few years, although I'd signed up with a couple of recruitment agencies (just general ones) who have never contacted me since, applied for jobs online as none of the employees list up their direct contact numbers and none of those applications were successful. Yet I know that I can handle most tasks skill-wise if not too demanding for my physical capability.

I was well more self-conscious of my disadvantages than what was necessary. So I guess that, the little assistance from the agencies like them maybe a big help for me if I use their service wisely.

At least they know that I'm a supervisor at an op-shop, and that I'm used to money-handling and customer service and I have my good PC skills as well as typing skills although I can't do it for too long hours, as I'm sensitive to flashes, static electricity and such.

Well, that's it. I'm looking for a job. If anyone is looking for an honest, hard worker who is also a good team-player with positive, friendly attitude, that would be me, but you'd have to be willing to give a chance to an epileptic. *Wink* *Wink*

Fingers crossed for good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment