Monday, November 29, 2010

In the midst of the early afternoon slumber

I drift off to somewhere else on and off.
It almost feels like I'm meditating, which, without crossing my legs in zen style. Even now as I type into this computer, my finger stops now and then, and my senses begin to concentrate on the sounds, natural light and the smell of the air coming through the windows.

The sound of rain pelting against the roof and windows are finally replaced with the cries of cockatoos, crows and sparrows.

Outside my window I see two massive gum trees. Clearing the bark and the leaves fallen all across the backyard can be tiresome, but those trees bring the sense of serenity to my garden - no matter what the weather is, what time of the day it is. (Of course, except for the stormy days)

It was Ian who fell in love with this place we live.
“Love at first sight” you’d call it.
The large garage; the bloke’s ultimate dream and the two gum trees.
Now it’s me who love this place more than him.
The night sky with twinkling stars, the souring trees with arms stretching up high.

‘Reservoir’ the suburb is called. Just as the name represents, there are many lake reserves around here. Ian and I often go there after days of heavy rain to see the water level’s gone right up. The water roars into the catchment on such a day.

2001 was, from my hazy memory, was pretty wet as well. There were many grey, gloomy days and when it rained, streets and lanes came flooding with water.

This year has been different. The weather has been more ‘colourful’ – like the way it was in Japan. The year like this makes me appreciate the different weather the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment