Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Special Day at Hanging Rock

After 2 days of fun with my sister-in-law and nephews, we saw them off at the Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport yesterday.


If we were living in the same state it wouldn't be so bad, but they live in Sydney and it's not so cheap to travel interstate many times a year.
Knowing that, it was sad to see them leave.


My two nephews were a lot bigger than how I remembered them from 2 years ago.
2 years was a long time. During the meantime, he entered into his early adolescence - his voice has changed, pimples have appeared and the fine mousetache has started to show.


Sometimes I'd talk to him over the phone and he'd sound rather indifferent, which made me wonder if he's changed.


However, when I saw them at the Airport, I could tell almost straight away that they were rapt to see us again.


They brought their favourite Teddies and their mother brought her old Teddies for the big reunion with all our old Teddies. (YES, we are the geeks!)
The day was also my husband's birthday so we had a little party with home-cooked meal and a small bunch of flowers from the garden.


Yesterday was our biggest event - going to Hanging Rock together for the first time!
My sister-in-law was a teenager when the movie "Picnic at Hanging Rock" came out in 1975.
The movie was a box office hit in both Europe and Australia, and for her and my husband, especially living in Tasmania, was a huge deal going to watch that movie.




Organ Pipes




My husband I had already been there quite a number of times, but for them, it was 'WOW' experience.
Walking up itself was quite an exercise, but to take an adventure among the rocks was full-on.


As the name indicates, there are countless number of rocks around.
Those rocks invite you in, tempt you to explore further until you end up getting lost without your knowing...


It definitely evokes the intrigue and mysterious feel that were portrayed so well in the film, as my husband says -
Actually I saw the pictrail of the film which I downloaded from the following website Picnic at Hanging Rock


Our two excited nephews wandered into the rocks and tried to go further and further while we were trying to keep our eyes on them.
Although most rocks have plenty enough handholds, some were fairly slippery - but you'd want to take the challenge...I know.
Because I was like them once, and I hurt myself more than enough due to my curiosity and adventure-mindedness.


My sister-in-law was worried, yet so excited.
'Don't go any further!' she sort of yelled at kids but she kept going herself. :)
When we finally reached to the top, the view was mind-blowing.


Please check these out.


View from the Top




This is how it looks when you look down from the edge of a rock...




Glimpse of Mt. Macedon over the rocks and the plateau


Hanging Rock was a special experience we shared, which I will remember and cherish for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment