Sunday, November 14, 2010

Memories of my father-in-law.

I was watching this documentary TV program 'Hawkins River' on Channel 7, which briefly showed the first Franklin River canoe trip completed by 4 guys (one of them is the dead father of my husband). It's also about the Green's Bob Brown's pursuit to protest against hydro-electric development.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the Greens (the Australian political party that has a strong say when it comes to emvironmental issues), but Bob Brown has a special spot in my heart because he was the one who named "Newland's Cascade", named after my father-in-law.

I know that it's such a tiny bit in the documentary that no one else would spot my father-in-law, but his whole family would recognise him instantly.

It was weird to see him on TV screen, who I've only seen on the photos and the 8mm video footage of the canoe trip. The details of the trip can be found on the biological story by John Dean "Shooting the Franklin"

If you love the natural beauty of Tasmania's wilderness, it's worth looking at.

- It always pays to be careful when your life is concerned -

Indeed, both my husband and his father worked for Hydro-Electric Commission in Tasmania. Somehow ironically, my father-in-law died in a workplace accident. He was a quietly confident sort of a guy and never thought such a thing could ever happen to him.

My hubby was only 18-month-old when his father suddenly disappeared out of his life. The beloved father who was always there for his wife and two kids didn't come home.
Explaining why he didn't come home was the hardest thing for my mother-in-law to do to my sister-in-law, then 3-year-old, the ultimate daddy's girl.

You know that tragic accidents happen often enough, and not many people care as long as it doesn't involve or affect them directly.
But the emotional trauma that those families carry and have to overcome is so deep and unfathomable.

It may be irrelevant, but there are many young drivers, adventurers, blue-colour workers out there, who experience near accidents and yet always seem to survive.
They might feel invincible, but they aren't. We aren't.

Even a cat can use up its 9 lives, one's life isn't worth pushing its limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment