Saturday, November 13, 2010

Perfect Exercise

It was sunny and warm this afternoon.

I thought, hmmm...maybe I should go outside.

I hadn't been doing much exercise since cold weather kicked in, which was a worry. Sure enough, my belly started bulging (not from pregnancy), with the unwelcome love handle drooping out of my jeans...not a pretty sight.
I tried yoga in the morning, then a brilliant idea came up in my head 'eureka!'
'I'm gonna do weeding'.

It should've been done ages ago, and I had already procrastinated too long - each time using a different excuse - yes. I had an excuse for everything.

But not this time. The invasion of the lawn was out of control and anyone could see it would be a nightmarish task to pull them all out and, it was.
The root was spreading to multiple directions, creeping under the logs that have been used as partition. Grass roots were tightly bound to other plant roots, just as I had anticipated.

I dug about 20cm with spade, then I had to hand dig about further 20cm to trace the deepest of roots. I can't even remember how many times I fell on my bum while I was pulling them out...but, the hard work paid off in the end. I managed to get rid of 90% of roots...well still 90%, but it's impossible to eliminate the stubborn grass, which is strong enough to push up concrete.

After one job was done, I took a brief break to shoot these photos.


My husband came home early and decided to mow the lawn.
So I went on tidying up the edges with grass shears. (I looked for pruning shears but couldn't find it.) - what a great job we've done, the garden looks so good.

I'll be expecting some muscle pain tomorrow, but for the moment, I feel exhilarated.
My body desperately needed this exercise. I hope the pain won't be too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment