Saturday, November 13, 2010

My Secret? Passion for Op-shops

I'm an op-shop freak as well as being an op-shop shop assistant.
It's no surprising that 99% of my wardrobe come from op-shops in different suburbs and occasionally, even different states.

I have this strong belief that many old clothes were made to last.
Among those we sell there are many brand-name clothes, some of which are Australian-made or even Italy-made vintages.
If you go to Myers, David Jones or DFO, you'll realise how hard it is these days to find something made other than in China.

Some people may go to Vintage shops to find something of good qualities. But why would you go there to buy old clothes expensive while you can get the same thing at a dirty cheap price? (I think ours is one of the cheapest.)

With the economy still unstable, more brand-new clothes are coming from closed retail stores. Yeeesss...*wink**wink**wink*
I would personally go to op-shops in my local area, because they sell good stuff at lot cheaper prices than ones in the city or inner-suburbs.

For someone who loves old collectables, there's a good chance you'll find something you like at op-shops at less than half the price of what specialized shops (or antique stores) would ask for.

The reason is simple. For people who don't know the value of those items, they all look like old junk. Op-shops are run by volunteers, and we don't know what those items are worth...which explains a lot, doesn't it?

Among my collections are a 30s carl-zeiss binocular, a Japan-made 50s binocular, a 60s royal typewriter and a Globemaster soda cyphon by Sparkles England.
  We get old type-writers every now and then. They are all in good working condition. Last week a glossy black portable typewriter in a bulky carry case (leather) caught my attention. I was really tempted and actually, might get it myself if it's still in the shop tomorrow...because I know it's possibly from the 30s and could worth more than the one I have. I'd be spewing if it's already gone...uhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment