Saturday, May 12, 2018

Good Bye Shibuya, Hello Kobe!

Just as we were leaving Shibuya, finally sun came out. We didn't do much while we were in Shibuya, but yesterday we did something special. I took my husband to the place I spent 4 years in my 20s. It was right after my devorce from the last husband. I kick started the new life there, I often went to the local park called "Himonya park". I remember I threw my wedding ring into the lake.




It was an expensive ring so perhaps I should've kept it, but I never really regretted doing it, for it gave me the courage to move on, and lifted the emotional hung-up that was weighing me down.
After that I truly started enjoying my new single state. Met new people, went to many fabulous restautants, both traditional and multi-national.

The place is called "Gakugei Daigaku", which is like 5 stops from Shibuya via To-Yoko Line local train. It's only like 10 minutes from Shibuya and yet, people are more down to earth, and "Himonya Park" was just as tranquil as always.
I also went to the cafe right outside the station called "An-gui-yu", which I think is a French word, but don't count me on it.

Anyway, 23 years ago I used to go there almost everyday. the owner made an amazing cup of coffee. Everything was special, the music he chose to play, the kind of customers they had, the desserts and the vibe and of course the coffee were all so special. He was a quiet man who didn't communicate with people but his coffee was a piece of art. The price is rather high, but everything there tastes like WOW, I don't mind paying extra for that. Only sad thing I found this time was the owner is now an old man and looks very old to the extent I couldn't recognise him. That means I am getting old. Time has past.

I am not sure how many more times I get to see him, but would certainly try to go there every time I come to Japan.

Oh, there is one more thing to mention about Gakugei Daigaku. There is a chemist where you can buy boxes of cigarettes and alcohol. It felt strange that a pharmacy sells things that are so unhealthy, but to consider them as types of drugs, it sort of makes sense. All kinds of drugs could be found at a drug store - hmm, would it be plausible?



Next coming, Kobe.
Before coming here all I knew about this place was about the earthquake that killed around 5000 people and injured 40000 people.
But geez, this place has completely revived. I wish I could stay a lot longer. People here are so much more easy-going and genuinely helpful. And the food - everything I've eaten here is nothing like I had before. Kanto (the central state of Japan) has its great food culture of its own, and the China town in Yokohama offers mouth watering noodles and all but, Kobe offers the BEST sweets especially those made from local milk, literally melt in your mouth.
This place also has its top-grade beef called Kobe-Gyu, which is more lean and full of taste, we loved it. Chinese noodles I ate in China Town was different in taste from Kanto style, less salty maybe?, I could definitely taste Kansai style in the way it was seasoned.

Another special experience we had was dining at Mosrite Cafe in Kobe Harbourland. We accidentally found the place while walking down the main street leading to the Port Kobe. The food was superb, just as you would expect from any restaurants in Kobe. The place was full of Mosrite guitars and my husband got so excited. As it turned out that the old man who was running the restaurant was the guy who owns the guitar manufacturer Mosrite, which is originally a US company, but Mosrite was no longer manufactured in the US. After the factory was closed down in the States, the old man bought all the licence from Mosrite, and now the factory in Kyoto is the only one that manufactures Mosrite guitars!!!






My husband felt so previledged to meet the owner and we spent hours listening to their houseband playing 60's Ventures' style music. I know it's not the type of music that attracts many audiences but their musicianship was great, their timing was spot-on, the band was so tight and together.
The band members all spoke a little English and my husband had a great time talking to them - sharing the passion for music in particular.
I still have so many places I want to check out but unfortunately our time in Kobe is running out. We are taking a train to Osaka tomorrow but at least we don't need to worry about the departure time, thank god.
You know I'm gonna stay in Kobe as long as I can and have lunch before heading off to Osaka tomorrow.


にほんブログ村 海外生活ブログ オーストラリア情報へにほんブログ村 英語ブログへ

No comments:

Post a Comment