Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My struggle with English continues.

Even after 10 years in Australia, there are still many words I am not familiar with.
For one, the word I've learnt today is "page".
No. Not this page you're viewing now, but 'page', as in 'pager'.

You know 'pager', right? - that little device that is used to call a person over when you can't find him/her? There used to be many of them available in cute colours and designs (or was it just in Japan?). We called it "Poke-bell" for "Pocket-bell", it was huge before mobile phone took over.
Anyway, going back to the original subject, I wasn't familiar with its verbal form, simply because I'd never heard the term used around me before. Just like that word 'till', meaning 'cash register', I didn't know until I heard it.

A few months ago, I started working at a recycle store after working at an op-shop for over a year. The two jobs are similar in most aspects, however, the op-shop where I was working before was tiny, so we never had to use PA system, and they use different terms to what I'm used to. Inevitably, I have to face many embarrassing situations for not knowing what they are talking about.

Seriously, after ten bloody years I really should be a true bi-lingual!
But sadly I'm not.
What's ironic is that we non-Australians understand most of what Australians say (especially after spending many years in this country and have a job in a local company/shop), but non-Australians often misunderstand each other, because we all have words we are not familiar with, and also, there are times we don't know how to re-phrase it.
We call it "Lost in Translation."

My boss is not Australian, but she knew the word I didn't know.
"Page someone" means, call someone over using either 'pager' or 'PA system', not just calling out a person, like one of my English-Japanese dictionary describes.
So when my boss asked me to page my workmate, I called out her name instead of calling her over using PA. Oh dear.

"Well, at least I know now."
This phrase, I believe, is going to be used VERY often.

No comments:

Post a Comment