Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Semi-tone phobia.

I hadn't been practicing recorder for some time till yesterday.

First I started with a classical piece, then moved onto something more funky.

There is this CD I specifically burned for my recorder practice, by which I mean it contains only songs that would suit recorder sound.

Anyway, I started playing along with the CD, thinking it shouldn't be too hard as most of those in the CD are practiced and played many times before. No. I was wrong.

The tuning of some songs was different from that I've been used to playing on my recorder.
Somehow it was subtly, but surely half or quarter of a semitone higher or lower and it disturbed me.

I hate using semitone to start with, as it makes the playing bloody hard.
I recall myself practicing piano as a girl, that I had exactly the same problem with semitones. Since then I've developed a serious chip on the shoulder, which I call 'semitone-phobia'.

As a matter of fact, it's possible to adjust a recorder tuning by loosening the joint part a bit. I was just making the imperfect tuning as an excuse to avoid playing the hard way, means following the original tuning, and that means practicing the piece from the scratch.

All right, all right I'll do it. Shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment