Thursday, April 25, 2013

Turning Pages of History.

When I was volunteering at a charity op-shop, I got hold of a little English dictionary the width of 50 cent coin and the height of my small thumb, which is called "lilliput webster dictionary'. Printed in 1969 in Germany, this tiny dictionary obviously is quite popular for past 75 years.

I've always had an eye for antique,
Antique, that is not too expensive, not in perfect condition, 
but with some wear and tear or a unique character of its own.
"The little webster from Spotless Dry Cleaning and Laundry" is certainly one of the kind.
I placed it on the fireplace alcove in our lounge, and admired it from time to time.
I had never took a great notice of anything else except, the size of the dictionary.

Ian was watching 'American Pickers' on TV on the sofa.
I was standing with my back facing the heater.
We were talking about how I have a thing for old items with some company logos on them.
Then I abruptly looked in the direction of the alcove.

This one was a great pick, wasn't it? I said.
Sure was, said Ian.
It is in amazing condition...did I pay 50 cents for it or got it for free? 
I'm pretty sure I didn't pay anything for it.
And I wouldn't have had to anyway.
It was a free giveaway someone got from Spotless Dry Cleaning and Laundry store in Melbourne, or someone who was working for the place donated one, I'm not hundred percent sure.
I found a photo archived on National Library of Australia Website.

This photo was taken in 1967, two years in prior to the dictionary was printed.

The same logo you see on the roof of the store is found on the cover of the dictionary.


The definition is simple and easy to understand.
In its 640 pages, it covers pretty much every word you will need in daily life.




The spotless dry cleaning and laundry store in Melbourne probably changed its name slightly since then, well, I don't know.
In 1969, Australia must have been still pretty "white".
Most migrants were those from Mediterranean nations and Eastern European nations.
But slowly but surely Australia was heading towards multiculturalism.
That's why the idea of a dry cleaner using an English dictionary as a promotional item is so interesting.

Well, it certainly is not the tiniest like Bryce's,
Even the original 1969 Lilliput Dictionary costs only 19 Australian Dollars.
But it is special.

No comments:

Post a Comment